Virginia Snow Goose Migration Reports

Atlantic Flyway Snow Goose Reports from Quebec, MA, NH, VT, MA, NY, CT, PN, NJ, MD, DE, VA, WV, NC, and SC.

Virginia Snow Goose Migration Reports

Postby Jonathan Olson » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:00 pm

This is the place to put in your Virginia Snow Goose Migration Reports!
Jonathan Olson

Re: Virginia Snow Goose Migration Reports

Postby Lewdog » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:45 pm

I have a friend hunting a flock of 2,000 or more over on Eastern Shore today , I wish I could join him tomorrow but it's not in the cards for that to happen .

;) LD :(
Lewdog

Postby dekedog » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:18 am

this year in se va seems to be a bust as far as waterfowling in general is concerned. we had some birds but nothing like years past. weather has played a huge part in this. our snow goose numbers are way down and success has been slim. we run a spread of 80 dozen sillosocks,3 dozen fliers, and a four speaker e-caller. in years past this spread has been capable of pulling flocks of snows from long distances. we just don't have the birds here. have some friends on the shore keeping an eye open for them as well and they report the same the birds just aren't here in the usual numbers. hopefully you boys up north will have better luck as it seems that they never migrated this far as they had no reason to :cry:
dekedog

Postby cut_un » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:18 pm

Seems to me killing a snog in Va. is a marsh thing....Been over to the shore several times, even know a couple guys that duck hunt the area...... finding places to shoot em where they are feeding are few and far between. My experience with the snogs here in Va. has been "seeing" the high flyers as they head to the happy feeding grounds,PRIVATE LAND!
cut_un

Postby dekedog » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:19 am

very true cut. all of our hunting is done on private land near pungo and around eastville on the shore. with the number of decoys that we have running traffic has become easier, but ideally we like to be on the x which can be difficult from day to day with snows. have seen numerous north bound flocks of swans starting yesterday evening and continuing this am. come on spring gobbler
dekedog

Postby cut_un » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:57 pm

Got the swans covered :D The Snow Goose,a different story all together :?
cut_un

Postby dekedog » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:18 am

we had three swan tags in our group and filled none of them. it was the busiest dec. and jan. that i can remember. work was crazy whether it be in town or out of town. always next year hopefully. we get a good amount of swans where we hunt and could have filled them but it is what it is
dekedog

Postby Lewdog » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:44 am

The Snogs of Back Bay are working the big fields West of the bay , in years pass that would mean they were getting ready to make the big move North .

;) LD :)
Lewdog

Postby dekedog » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:43 am

we hunted friday the 9th. saw a large number of birds. we managed to scratch out only two. the birds were there through the weekend but have since moved north. i can attest to the fact that sillosocks are a pain in the rain. spent all week drip drying them on the clothes line.
dekedog

Postby dekedog » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:37 am

the snows seem to be playing their usual hiding game with us this year. over 130 miles on the truck yesterday riding and checking their usual haunts. not a single snow goose even in the one field that i always see them in. the population in ne nc is much better than in va. usually we have had somw good hunts by now but the weather this year and last seems to have kept them to our north
dekedog

Return to Atlantic Flyway Snow Goose Reports