Missouri Snow Goose Migration Reports

Central Flyway Snow Goose Reports from Alberta, Saskatchewan, ND, SD, MT, WY, CO, NE, KS, OK, TX, NM, Western IA, MO, AZ.

Missouri Snow Goose Migration Reports

Postby Jonathan Olson » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:42 am

This is the place to put in your Missouri Snow Goose Migration Reports!
Jonathan Olson

Re: Missouri Snow Goose Migration Reports

Postby Jonathan Olson » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:15 pm

Large Concentrations of birds throughout the whole state right now with 1.2 million estimated on Squaw creek right now.
Jonathan Olson

Postby Northern_Skies » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:36 pm

High migrators moving through the boot heal today
Northern_Skies

Postby Jonathan Olson » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:34 am

A video from Missouri a few weeks ago!

Jonathan Olson

Postby WHITEOUT » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:16 pm

Heading to NW MO a week from today. Hope they dont all push through before then.
WHITEOUT

Postby Gussleyer » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:43 pm

Be in the bootheel the 25th through the 28th. Gonna catch the juvies and rosses at least one weekend this year. After that its off to NW MO. I will be there the 3rd through the 11th.
Gussleyer

Postby snowgoosecentral.com » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:44 pm

WHITEOUT wrote:Heading to NW MO a week from today. Hope they dont all push through before then.

Impossible, too many birds south of there.
snowgoosecentral.com

Postby clsposse » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:32 am

Yesterday from the Mound area. 4 spreads low of 14 high spread in the low 80's
clsposse

Postby Horker23 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:13 pm

Jonathan Olson wrote:A video from Missouri a few weeks ago!

Dude your gun blew apart! That sucks. What happened to it
Horker23

Postby Jonathan Olson » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:59 am

Haha the extension tube broke! It was a tac extension tube from cabelas, not recommended. Heard bad things
Jonathan Olson

Postby jimmie11 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:49 pm

im hunting north missouri march 13th-15th. how do you think the hunting will be(will the geese have already moved through)
i live in texas so any info and opinions are greatly appreciated. thanks :?:
jimmie11

Postby 495hp » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:04 pm

Had a nice push of juvies and Ross today in north Missouri. I think your dates are going to be a little late. This next week should be awesome
495hp

Postby fowlhunter » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:48 am

I'm going to be hunting there Sunday - Tuesday. Hopefully it won't be the tail end of things.
fowlhunter

Postby tornadochaser » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:06 am

They aren't going to get much farther north...lots of snow coming in the dakotas.
tornadochaser

Postby N_Mich_hunter » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:23 am

Going to be in Mound City March 8-11th. Whats it going to look like come that time. Looks like there is suppuse to be a pretty good amound of snow coming in the next week or so to the Dakotas. Hoping we're there at the right time. This winter has been crazy.
N_Mich_hunter

Postby snowgooseaddict197 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:30 pm

Was out hunting this past weekend in MO. Saw a lot of migrators. Shot mostly adults over the weekend. I think the big push of juvies is yet to come.
snowgooseaddict197

Postby rempump » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:52 pm

I posted this report on the other flyway but here is our report from this past weekend.

We just got back from our 2 day hunt around Grand Pass, MO. We got down there on Friday around noon and did some driving around and looking for birds. We saw several smaller bunchs and some bird tornados way off in the distance. We saw enough birds to make us not able to sleep on Friday night in anticaption for Saturdays hunt.

We got back to the hotel on friday and met with our outfitter and met our guide for the next day. Saturday morning started out pretty hectic as my buddy locked his keys in the truck. We did some scrambling and got everyone out to the field. We got settled in and as the sun started to rise the birds appeared in the distance. We didn't have to wait long before a single dropped out of a flock going over head, the guide called the shot and 3 of us sat up and shot. The guides dog brought the bird back and low and behold it was banded! We registered the bird from the field and it was at least 1 year old in 2004 so a pretty old snow goose! The hunting went down hill from there as several big feeds set up in the distance and sucked our birds in. Around 8:30 the birds had all gotten to where they wanted to go. We had a nice lunch and some great conversation and waited for the evening flight.

Eveing time rolled around and not much action for the snows. The wind switched and the birds moved to another area. The show from the ducks was amazing! We had big flocks of pintails dive bomb, big groups of mallards and other species. It was quite the show for about an hour. No other snow geese stopped by so the days total stood at one.

On the way home our outfitter Mat called with some great news. He had found a field about 2 hours north of us and it was real hot with a lot of birds working it. After discussing it with our group we decided we could not make the drive as 2 of our guys in the group had to drive in the oppiste direction the next day and had business meetings and other things they had to get to. So Mat had another nearby field and we set up there. the morning started off the same as Saturday with the exception of birds everywhere! We worked groups from a couple brids up to 4-500 hundred. Birds worked right down and our Guide Nick called the shot as they were hovering right over us. We had some moments of great shooting and other moments where I think our barrels were crooked. We ended up with 25 birds and shoulda coulda woulda had 35 or more birds. Nicks dog Jake did a excellent job on some very hard retrieves and found us some birds we would not have gotten without a well trained dog. We had a great show from the pintails, mallards and specks! THe specks decoyed to within feet of the blinds with our guide Nick mouth calling them in!

We spoke with the group of 6 that hunted the field that was 2 hours away and they had a epic hunt. They shot over a 100 birds and even stopped before shooting time. I came very close to having my dream snow goose hunt! I have done this for 7 years now and that was the closest I have been to a epic snow goose hunt.

Overall a great hunt, we wished we would have had more birds on Saturday but that is hunting and there is nothing you can do about it. Our outfitter busted his hump getting us on birds and did everything he could. We met some great guides and had a great time. If anyone wants a great snow goose hunt I would look up Mat at Northern Skies Outfitters, he knows birds, has great decoys and blinds and his guides are top notch snow goose guru's.
rempump

Postby Nado » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:41 am

Heading to NW Missouri this weekend. Contact says birds have been pretty stale recently.....probably because they've been there for a month+ at this point! Hoping some nicer weather comes through in the next couple days to flush things out and shake it up a bit.
Nado

Postby jimmie11 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:23 pm

any more reports on nw missouri. im hearing that people are still shooting good numbers in norther ark. and cent. missouri, didnt know if anybody else has heard the same or has just gotten back from hunting there so i can get an accurate report. any info on shoots or on migration is greatly appreciated. :?:
jimmie11

Postby jimmie11 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:31 pm

oh by the way, i saw a group of 150 snows migrating north today at 4pm and i live an hour north of Houston Texas. didnt think they would still be here with the weather and above average temps. i guess they are on there own schedule. :!: :!:
jimmie11

Next

Return to Central Flyway Snow Goose Reports